Let us take a look at these fun math claims and do it like Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Numbers do have its fun facts, unbelievable or strange though some may be but still they are facts and have been proven. We all agree that almost everything in our world consist of numbers, from the time we wake up to the time we retire for the night. Such is our involvement with numbers that there are a lot of fun facts that we have found about mathematics that I think you too will enjoy.
Do you know these facts . . .
- That the numbers 111,111,111 multiplied by itself or 111,111,111 is equal to 12,345,678,987,654,321?
- That the sum of a quantity of odd numbers is equal to the given quantity raised to the 2nd power, such that the sum of the first 50 odd numbers is equal to 2500 and the sum of the first 100 odd numbers is equal to 10,000? Check this by trying the simple examples below.
Example: Sum of the first 5 odd numbers = 1+3+5+7+9 = 5^2 = 25
Sum of the first 10 odd numbers = 1+3+5+7+9+11+13+15+17+19=10^2=100
- That 666, the so called number of the beast based on the Book of Revelation of the Holy Bible, is equal to 6^3+6^3+6^3+6+6+6?
To check: 6^3 = 216, so 216+216+216+6+6+6 = 666
- That there are some interesting math patterns that will truly make you curious, such as
1 x 9 + 2 = 11
12 x 9 + 3 = 111
123 x 9 + 4 = 1111
1234 x 9 + 5 = 11111
12345 x 9 + 6 = 111111
123456 x 9 + 7 = 1111111
1234567 x 9 + 8 = 11111111
Take note of the fact that the results are all 1s and that the number of place values of the result is equal to number added at the end of the equation, like if you add 2 the result is 2 of the number 1 such that when we added 8 the result is 8 of the number 1. Isn’t this strange but true? Check the results by using a calculator. Believe me, I did!
- That the number 1,741,725 is the sum of each of these numbers raise to the 7th power? Check this out:
1 7 4 1 7 2 5
(1^7) + (7^7) + (4^7) + (1^7) + (7^7) + (2^7) + (5^7)
1 + 823543 + 16384 + 1 + 823543 + 128 + 78125 = 1,741,725
There are hundreds and hundreds of fun math facts that we have found and these are only a few of them that caught our attention. Although some of these are really strange and unbelievable, we used a calculator to check the validity of these claims, for the ones we enumerated in this article, and we did find that they are the truly math facts, believe it or not!